Sunday, March 17, 2024

Blessed Calamity

author’s note:

Amazing that a fraidy cat like me has taken so many chances.


BLESSED CALAMITY

Consider the blessings of calamity:

For years
I dashed here and there
in a rabbit’s hurry
refusing to listen
to the voice saying “stop”.
As a result
I eventually tripped myself up.

But the hard landing woke me
to my blindness—
I realized
I’d raced to escape my anxiety.

Before the fall
I’d imagined myself to be
a lucky soul
protected by an umbrella
held by the gods.
But now I knew the secret:
I’d always feared
the sky might suddenly
fall on my head.

Good to finally see the truth.
But I missed my false courage.
Before, I’d felt too anxious to stop
but now, I felt too anxious to step.

Fortunately last week
another blessed calamity came
to put the spur to me:

a star crashed and burned my backyard black.

Having frozen my legs
I nearly lost my toes in the blaze.
No, we can’t avoid life’s hazards.
Okay okay, I cried, I’ll go forward.

Someone much wiser than I once said:
When the risk of necessary change
seems unbearably scary
consider the risk
of letting your north star fall down in flames.

Common Courage: poetry ebook
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2024, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home