Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Ouch!



author's note:

If laughter is the best medicine, maybe it’s good for me to joke about my pain.


OUCH!

When slogging through
a dark morass of agony
some of us will only say
"ouch".

By that I mean:
we'll answer your sincere concern
with a little joke--
understating our pain
in the manner of some cartoon character
toasted to a crisp by a bomb.

Maybe I'm not being honest about
the state of my heart
but to share my burden
would only burden me more
because then I'd worry
you'd worry
much too much
about the state of my soul.

Please, believe me:
I can endure what I must
if I couldn't I wouldn't
be able to limit my cry
to a silly-sad
mouse-like
"ouch".

© 2017, Michael R. Patton
myth steps blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home