Friday, July 27, 2018

What I Discovered at the Sleep Lab



author's note:

Peace: always a work-in-progress.


WHAT I DISCOVERED AT THE SLEEP LAB

In our studies at the sleep lab
the quietest test subjects
often report
such loud dreams.

For instance:
the muted woman
who told us how she'd fought
to keep herself intact
as she spun up inside
a crazy gray tornado:

she described her struggle
with an elation absent later
when she awoke from seeing
a white dove perched
on her sunny window sill.

I wanted to say to her:
ironic, isn't it?--you're
more excited by the war
than by the peace you've earned.


But no, I did not--
we're only allowed to make
some marks on a chart.

However
that evening I again sounded off
over drinks with my associates--
abandoning my science for the moment
to repeat with certainty this belief:

the dreams we record are proof
that all lives--
  even those so common
  even those so low
  even those so quiet
hold the highest goal.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
my war for peace: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home