Sunday, June 24, 2018

Remembering the Reason



author's note:

Remembering poet Donald Hall, 1928-2018


REMEMBERING THE REASON

I believe
when we open our eyes
on the day of birth
we forget

our reason for being born

then spend the rest of our lives
trying to remind ourselves
in dreams.

To be honest
I often miss those reminders
because I'm reluctant to look
at what I've dreamt:

such disappointment
when I witness my weakness

but also a shock
when a dream reveals
a strength disowned

and after seeing both
one and other
I'm again confronted
with the great challenge:
to rise above one
so I can reach the other.

I believe this work to be
our reason for being born.

So, though I'm reluctant
I still want to look.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
searching for my best beliefs: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home