Tuesday, May 08, 2018

The Owl at Midnight



author's note:

It doesn't have to be an owl.


THE OWL AT MIDNIGHT

One blessed midnight...

I woke to find
my confused face reflected
on the translucent lens
of the owl's dark eyes.

As the wise one peered deep into me
from its perch on the window sill
I froze dumb, struck to the core--

I could feel its sharp vision scanning
through my assorted troubles--conflicts!--
not judging me nor feeling pity
merely calculating my progress
in our refining process.

Overwhelmed by the intense scrutiny
I soon shut down
but though I wished I'd stayed awake
I felt satisfied after that visit:

what I'd only vaguely sensed before
had been confirmed by experience:

our world does indeed have eyes--
yes, we're being monitored

and though our watchers
may seem distant and dispassionate
obviously, they must care--
otherwise they wouldn't track
our steps so intently.

I realize some may claim
the owl was but a dream...

but either way
I can still say:
this work I'm doing matters.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
searching for my best beliefs: ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home