Friday, March 02, 2018

Great Hermitage of Gray



author’s note:

I keep learning from old dreams.


GREAT HERMITAGE OF GRAY

Years ago in a dream
I saw the truth of my room:

the walls and floor, all dull gray--
even the light motes drifting
down from the ceiling:
dense gray.

Since that vision, I've worked
to escape my gray place
and maybe I have--because
though I still see
scary things in my dreams
I witness nothing so monotone.

But ever so often
in my waking hours
I revisit the room
because as a human being
I want to understand

and if I can raise myself
when I return
I'll again realize
the beauty and benefit
of that hermitage:

though gray, the sun rays
pour down from a skylight

and those high walls
create a great space--
an austere cathedral.

Oppressive, yes, but
power held in check
can build in strength
as our desire to break out
--to bloom--
grows in intensity.

I've still much to learn
but at least now I know why
I needed that gray room.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
what I learned while alone: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home