Sunday, February 11, 2018

Obeying a Forgotten Dream



author's note:

I may lie to myself while awake.  But in my dreams, I always tell myself the truth.


OBEYING A FORGOTTEN DREAM

This morning when I saw
the mess in the mirror
I wondered:

did my hair do a dance in the night
while I dreamt a dream
now forgotten?

Maybe so, because
as I listened to my inside
I could feel the afterglow
of a rollicking midnight party.

However
I had to flatten down
the cacophony of my top
so I could be
a proper employee.

Nevertheless
my spirit hummed
all morning--
my body twitched

until a merciful angel
finally came to my rescue

by setting off the office fire alarm--!

I then had a private space
in which to spin
to shake, to clap
to shout, to laugh

and my hair rose
with the ecstasy
as every strand
did its wild dance.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
what I learned while alone: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home