Monday, April 10, 2017

That Blessed Demon Season



author’s note:

I'm seasoned.


THAT BLESSED DEMON SEASON

In the dream
I could not breathe
for an entire season

and as I struggled underwater
to find a few molecules
of air
I cursed
whatever demon
held me down there...

but when the season finally ended
I found only my own self
bobbing at the top of the tank.

I then realized
I'd pushed myself down so deep
in a mission to test
my capacity--

a drastic measure
that had the effect
of drastically increasing
that capacity--

I could feel my sails fill
with blossoms of air.

However
when I awoke
I only felt
a burning in my lungs:

pain from the scar tissue
I'd tried so hard to ignore

because I did not wish to revisit
that cursed demon season

did not, until
that bright dream
showed me my strength

then I knew
I was strong enough to heal
the blessed wound
I'd given to myself
and in healing
finally fill my sails
with blossoms of air.

© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home