Thursday, December 07, 2017

Working with Water


author's note:

"Walking on water wasn't built in a day."
                  -- Jack Kerouac


WORKING WITH WATER

When I realized
what mental blocks
held me in check
I thought
(or hoped)
I could just jump over
those impediments

but though I was often able to elevate
I'd always land back in captivity

finally I conceded:
one must wear down such resistances
slowly--
the way water wears down rock.

Now, many years later
I'm still working to rid myself
of various barriers
through the tedious process
of erosion

even though I've come to see:
no matter how much I scrub
I'll never be completely free

but the more freedom I earn
the more I want
so though I may pause
I'll never stop washing

and besides

life constantly pours water
down our back
so why not use it
to optimal effect?

A child will whine about a bath
yet jump into a bubbling fountain
and dance

so whenever I'm doused
nearly to drowning
I tell myself:
think of the fountain of your life
and dance

dance and scrub and dance.

what I learned while alone: poetry ebook
© 2017, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home