Wednesday, July 05, 2017

The Way to The Kingdom



author's note:

In my experience, dreams don't lie.


THE WAY TO THE KINGDOM

Last night I wished
to escape on the beach

but a dream came to pain me
with golden possibility.

In the scene I was both slave and king

but the king slumped--
useless in his sleep

and so
the slave had to carry his master
through dark forests
through swamps

but found enough strength
in this belief:

as long as he ventured forth
with sincere intent
whatever direction he chose
would return them
to the kingdom

then the king would awaken
and he, his servant
would no longer live as slave.

This dream might seem to be
little more
than a fanciful child's tale

nonetheless
when I woke from it
I knew again
how lost I usually feel

but also
the strength of my hope.


© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home