Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Sharing the Price of Fire



author's note:

To be clear: the returning hero could just as well have been a heroine.


SHARING THE PRICE OF FIRE
(aka FABLE OF THE HERO'S RETURN)


Yes, I was the one
who brought fire down:

I lay myself open
on the mountain top
and waited until
the thunder god blasted me
with a lightning bolt.

Yes, I paid a great price
so the people would have fire.

But when I returned home
brandishing the torch
the one waiting at the door
saw how charred and scarred I was--
and said:

Blasted empty--
now I’m partner to a tremoring shadow.

“The world and you
  will soon bless my offering,”
  I countered.

“The truth is:
  you did it for yourself--
  now sit down
  and let me apply the salve.”

No, I didn't receive
the praise I believe
a true hero deserves

but I realized this blessing:
she actually understands me

and not only accepts my foibles
but loves me enough to help me deal
with whatever demons may plague me
after this horrific triumph.

40 New Fables
myth steps blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2018, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home