Tuesday, September 24, 2019

A Good Fake



author's note:

"One dog barks, one hundred dogs bark."
            -- old Chinese proverb


A GOOD FAKE

When I heard their growl
I started to growl--angry at how
they attacked beliefs I held dear--

I barked and growled
until I finally heard myself
and realized
I sounded much like those I criticized.

So I decided to work
to keep a cool calm--
with my unshakable peace
I’d defy their barrage
of false claims
and cruel accusations.

But though I’ve clipped my tongue
I can’t stop myself
from growling and barking inside--
lower instinct still rules.

Nonetheless
I maintain this calm face
because
to let the mad dog out
would only add to the tumult
and do nothing to help
raise us up.

Good intentions--but what a fake!
Sometimes I feel so ashamed

but then, in my humility
I cease to growl inside:

for a moment at least
I’ve raised my higher instinct
to its rightful place.

© 2019, Michael R. Patton
my war for peace: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home