Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Immeasurable

author’s note:

The eyes are the window to your soul.
          -- William Shakespeare


IMMEASURABLE

A group of scientists has shown:
our bodies both smolder and glow.

However
they made clear:
their tests merely measured the effects
of chemical reactions occurring within the subjects.

So are we nothing more
than combustion machines?
I like to think I’m also spirit.

No, I can’t say for certain
that the cars we are have soul--
when I looked into your eyes
hoping they might actually be a window
what I found did little more
than confirm the findings
of those scientists:

you do indeed possess fire and light.

Electrodes could surely have detected
my physical response in that moment
however
what I felt was immeasurable.

So who can honestly say
I lack spirit?

finding Beauty: poetry book
sky rope poetry blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home