Sunday, April 28, 2024

The Center of the World

author's note:

At the age of nine, Black Elk experienced a vision in which he stood at the center of the world--Harney Peak, South Dakota.

But in the same moment, he understood that every place on Earth is also the center.


THE CENTER OF THE WORLD

When I was small
I often felt quite small

so I'd climb a nearby hill

and at the top
I'd survey all below me
and imagine I was standing
at The Center of the World.

At such moments
I’d vow to myself:
one day I’ll be at the top
and all those people
will look up at me
and finally see my light.


Alas, as an adult
I’ve failed to realize
that dizzy ambition.
But though my ego is finally willing
to accept defeat
forces within keep driving me.

So I still feel frustrated.

But I’ve found a way to find relief:
I return to that hill of my childhood.

However, now
when I climb to the top
I don’t wish to inflate—
no, I go for perspective

because when I gaze down
at our human life below
the game called “success”
can seem so small.

But if I then begin
to feel above it all
I’ll tell myself:
yeah, you’re at
The Center of the World

but so is everyone else on this planet.


Get the Message: a short guide for understanding dreams
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2024, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home