Tuesday, January 04, 2022

After the Funeral I Create My Own Ritual

author’s note:

I have nothing against traditional rituals.

I say: whatever works for you.


AFTER THE FUNERAL I CREATE MY OWN RITUAL

Until late that afternoon...

I sent those small smooth round stones
skipping in delightful arcs
across the still water:

some making seven or eight or more hops--
others...only three or four

while a few, I regret to say
went ka-plunk
without jumping even once.

With every throw
I imagined that stone
excited to fly--joyful

then, whatever the outcome
content to sink, to rest

to be back with the lake.

When my arm finally said
okay--enough
I drove home in acceptance:

the beginnings of a peace.

you tube channel
Dancing to Raven’s Song: a novel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home