Wednesday, July 24, 2013

After the Funeral I Create My Own Ritual



author's note:

I felt this would be a good way to follow-up the last poem.


AFTER THE FUNERAL I CREATE MY OWN RITUAL

Into twilight that afternoon...

I sent those small smooth round stones
--so humble, so mundane--
skipping in delightful arcs
across the still water--

some making seven, or eight, or more hops
others...only three or four

while a few, I regret to say
went ka-plunk
with not even one jump.

On every throw
I imagined the stone
excited to fly--joyful

then, whatever the outcome
content to sink, to rest

to return to the lake...

From this pretend play
I returned home in acceptance:

the beginnings of a peace...

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
dreaming steps


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home