Sunday, November 28, 2021

Beauty in Commotion

author’s note:

It’s a little ironic to me…

...hearing “Silent Night” play over the speakers of a store at Christmastime.


BEAUTY IN COMMOTION

Yesterday I tried to calm myself
by sitting down beside a calm lake

but perfect serenity only exists in poems:

for a long moment
the air would hold its breath

then a gust of wind would sweep
the tranquility away
and ruffles would whiten into waves.

And when that sparkling green
had again idled down to a smooth sheen
a flashing fish would leap up
then splash back in silver spray

or mysterious bubbles
would rise to the surface and pop
pop...pop:
maybe an otter...but maybe a monster.

Meanwhile
in response to all these happenings
the birds in trees
squawked
and cawed
and whistled.

At the end of the day
as the sun began to set
I said to myself:
I may never achieve
the peace I seek
but by trying to quiet down
I’ll find beauty in commotion.

finding Beauty: poetry ebook
you tube channel
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home