Sunday, October 23, 2022

Therapists in the Natural World

author's note:

The extraordinary patience of things!
            -- Robinson Jeffers


THERAPISTS IN THE NATURAL WORLD

I often return to this path in solitude
but I never feel alone--
I know I’m being watched.

See that monolithic boulder over there?--
see how it stares?

And this old dark oak tree
has all its eyes on me.

I sense they know my secrets.

Maybe I’m imagining
but wise ones have often noted
the intelligence of mountains
and rivers and stones.

How did those beings get so smart?

I believe:
in past lives they lived
as humans.
And through lessons learned
managed to elevate their souls.

That’s why this little stream
can understand my pain.
I find its empathy comforting.
Like the others
it listens without judging.

That’s not to say these friends
always agree with me--
they know when
I’m not being honest
with myself.

Nonetheless not one ever protests:
they know if they wait patiently
I’ll eventually lead myself around
to the truth I’ve avoided--
the soul truth.

This flowing green field
welcomes me down
to a bed of wild grass
so I can find my strength.

finding Beauty: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home