Monday, August 29, 2022

The Phoenix Relaxes Before Rising from the Ashes

author’s note:

I feel I’m living in a phoenix country...but maybe I’m living in a phoenix world.


THE PHOENIX RELAXES BEFORE RISING FROM THE ASHES

I am the phoenix bird
and I’m here to tell you a secret:
after each crash
I enjoy a short break
before rising from the ashes:

a part of me just wants to relax--
why fight
if no victory can ever be final?

But though I find comfort
in the soft gray nest at first
soon, I start to feel dull and dim

and so, begin to work
to rekindle my fire--
by now I know how.

And when I’m able to fly away
I’ll tell myself what I tell myself
every time I rise up:
be careful not to burn too hot.

Maybe someday I’ll obey
that wisdom within me--
though I may not feel
the same fiery thrill
at least I won’t crash.

But I wonder--
do I secretly desire
that archetypal drama?

33 1/3 New Fables & Myths
myth steps blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home