Sunday, June 26, 2022

Shadows Attached

author’s note:

I hear people saying they want to see shows with characters who look like them.  I say:

Even E.T. looks like me.  Even Rin Tin Tin.


SHADOWS ATTACHED

Years ago, some ruckus outside
roused me from my sweet blanket

and when I went to the window to locate
the source of the disturbance
I found men, women, children
running from the shadows
attached to their heels.

Seeing their fear pained me.
How could I help those poor fools?

I tried to call to them
but my little voice was lost
in that cacophony.
So I put telescope to eye
hoping to discern some among the throng
who I could awaken to reality.

But this closer look
changed my perspective:
before I’d seen them as “them”
but now I saw them as individuals--
none of whom looked like me
yet with each face I felt the shock
of catching myself in a mirror--
he was me but also she--regardless of age--
the child taking its first step?--me as well.

With that recognition, I realized
the best next step for me:
I would stop
and confront
those long dark pools
attached to my sore feet.

What I Learned While Alone: poetry ebook
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home