Sunday, June 05, 2022

A Degree of Peace

author’s note:

A full-time job, this life.


A DEGREE OF PEACE

Tired of seeing the constant conflict
of our world
I sought peace
in the quiet of the shadows.

Only then did I hear
the conflict raging inside me.

Only then did I realize
the true origins of war.

But only then did I see
this great opportunity:

if I could find a way to end my war
I could then show others
how to end theirs.

Yet after decades of struggle
I’m still battling conflict within.
I have finally conceded the obvious:
I’ll be fighting this war to the hour I die.

However
I can honestly say
I've earned a degree of peace--

not enough for me to teach anyone else
the way free
but enough for me to comfort some
trying to ease their conflicts
by healing old wounds.

I listen
not just for their sake
but for mine as well:

I’ve learned I can learn
from all of them

and find catharsis
when I again witness
how we struggle to be free
in this constant war for peace.

Dancing to Raven’s Song: a novel
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home