Monday, May 16, 2022

Children of the Invasion

author’s note:

A poem about civilian casualties of war.  Written years ago.

When I see what’s happening today, I realize my poem didn’t have much impact.

Nonetheless, I going to keep trying.


CHILDREN OF THE INVASION

The invaded child
died for our sins.

If you haven’t heard of that child
that’s because the authorities
keep neglecting to tell us.
I think they even neglect to tell themselves.
I think
they wear those donkey heads
because they don’t dare witness

that naked body hunched in a ditch
as if in a womb of mud.

The attack was meant to protect
that child’s future
and the future
of that child’s children
--was that the idea?

Our humanity
is fragile.
Our humanity
is not guaranteed.

I say this
to those directly responsible
for that blind blunt act--
   to those
   who have made me
   indirectly responsible--
I say this:
the people will eventually reject
your well-crafted rationalizations.

I believe
the cry of the ghost child
will eventually break through
and as we wake we’ll recognize
those children in the shadows
as our own.

Then we will know:
we must find the courage
to stop destroying
all those vessels of soul.

myth steps blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home