Sunday, June 12, 2022

Between the Two

author’s note:

Johnny Cash once described himself as “a dove with claws”.


BETWEEN THE TWO

Disturbed by all
the violence I saw
I decided years ago
I should be a dove

but in response
a hawk shot up from my shadow
and shouted
Don’t try to deny me!

Fearing for the life of my dove
I pressed that ornery bird back down

and dared not ease my grip
because the demon
kept clawing and screaming--
demanding its freedom.

Meanwhile, my dove
suffered attack upon attack
from predator after predator.

Finally I realized the obvious:
in order to survive as a dove
I had to release that hawk.

My dove needs the eyes of a hawk
in order to protect itself from those
who live by preying upon doves

but my hawk needs
the heart of a dove
so it won’t see the world
merely in terms of survival.

Every day
I work to achieve
a balance between the two.

And though I often falter
I’m given solace by this thought:
my dilemma is not mine alone
but a problem borne
by the whole human race.

dream steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home