Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Surrender to the Ice Cube

author’s note:

“Be cool, baby”
          -- anonymous


SURRENDER TO THE ICE CUBE

When the heat of conflict builds within…

I can prevent explosion
by rubbing an ice cube
across my forehead--
moving it in slow circles
right to left
then left to right.

Yes, an ordinary cube can soothe me
mentally and emotionally.

Yet I often forget
to apply this medicine
when it's most needed.

Why is that?

Maybe as a baby
I became aggrieved
at our unjust world
and that angry baby
still cries in pain
and occasionally tries
to seize control
and make its deep wound known.

But after I flare
the adult I am
feels remorse--
embarrassed.
Small.
Even when I win, I lose.

So I’m determined to become
the type of person who always
stops to apply
the tonic of the ice cube
before the moment combusts.

That’s why I keep
listening down deep--
I need to hear
so I can heal
the old newborn wailing
somewhere under all those ashes.

myth steps blog
dream steps blog
you tube channel
33 1/3 New Fables & Myths
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home