Monday, July 11, 2022

Spirits of the Earth & Sky

author's note:

“Is that a light in the sky or just a spark in my heart?”
                -- Graham Parker


SPIRITS OF THE EARTH & SKY

Today I carefully studied
a video clip of a silver light
zigging
       and zagging
and zinging
through the night sky.

I felt eerily amazed
but also confused--

what could be the purpose
of such erratic movement?

But I refused to ponder too long
and again turned my eyes down
to try to understand an erratic human
who often seems alien—though he is me.

You said you once watched
a cluster of stargazers chanting
“Descend to us, beings of peace!
  Descend to us, beings of peace!"

But the light above
abruptly shut off
as if to say: save your own selves.

I say:
Let’s encounter ourselves
and end our alienation:
when I know myself better
and you know more of you
I will know you and you, me.
Perhaps then
we’ll be able to see a design
in all our zigging and zagging
and zinging.


Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home