Sunday, November 06, 2022

When I Look Into My Eyes

author’s note:

The eyes don’t lie.


WHEN I LOOK INTO MY EYES

Sometimes
when human life seems so base
I will look into my eyes
hoping to witness an inner spirit
shining up from the dark depths.

But at first I’ll usually only see
a reflection of the sadness
that brought me to the mirror.

So then in desperation
I’ll work hard to penetrate
those two black pools

and in that way
go into a meditation
and if I stay long enough
I’ll achieve
the relative stillness
of a relative peace.

Then I can again believe
that I am more than I seem to be.

But here’s the real secret:
occasionally when I’m in that state
I’ll find in the darkness
a purple jewel covered
with countless pure facets--
each one a window revealing
a light embedded in the core.

Though I just get glimpses
I can see
that stone possesses
an untroubled patience
developed over eons.

Maybe you’ll say
I’m only seeing
what I wish to see
but I swear to you:
to see the best of myself
can be as unsettling
as seeing the worst.

What a responsibility!
No wonder we’re afraid
of our own deep beauty.
No wonder we pretend
to be so base.

Listening to Silence: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home