Monday, August 27, 2018

Many New Dawns



author's note:

Reality...what a concept!
      -- Robin Williams


MANY NEW DAWNS

I awoke to the morning sun
as if struck by lightning

then woke again--

shocked
as I realized
my first awakening
had been a dream.

I pinched myself then
to be certain of my reality

then woke again

but this time
to the actual physical world

though a philosopher might ask
can you be sure?

To that I'd reply:
maybe not--but
I’m pretty sure I know
what the dream says
which is:

enlightenment doesn't happen
in one final lightning moment
but with many awakenings--
many new dawns.

And I say:
we are never done--
not even after
we've gone beyond.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
searching for my best beliefs: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home