Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Untying My Lines

author’s note:

What a feat of endurance our life is.


UNTYING MY LINES

Alexander the Great
solved the problem of the Gordian knot
with one stroke of his sword
but

I’ve learned from experience
I can’t sever these bindings
with such suddenness--
no
I must talk to my knots

with extreme patience--
respectfully coaxing
all those fists open--
no use shouting
hurry up!

The fingers will only uncoil slowly.

I suppose
we need time to adjust
to the release of energy
held in their shadow.

But though I know I’ve no choice
I still feel frustrated

and so, try to comfort myself
with this knowledge:
a rope untied in that tedious way
becomes a strong line going out--
out into the world.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home