Monday, September 13, 2021

Still Working to Reach the Angel

author’s note:

When a man hears angels singing
he hears angels singing.
              -- Mary Oliver


STILL WORKING TO REACH THE ANGEL

Having lived among us for so long
angels have lowered their expectations.

Thus
they no longer feel angry at us--
they feel pity

for creatures so weak, so low.

One day
a winged shadow on the lawn
startled me out of the storm
in my mind.
Up above, I spied
an angel flying away--
tired of hearing me thunder.

At once I saw I was losing
the spirit that could save me
from my thunderstorm.

In desperation
I raised my arms
opened my hands
and began to beseech with a song.

I’d hoped to let flow
the lovely notes of a dove.
Instead, my voice cut the air
like the sharp dry caw of a crow.

But to an angel
any cry of humility sounds beautiful
because the supplicant openly admits
the painful truth.

And so, in response to my plea
the cherub circled round
to perch in an elm tree near me

as if to say:
since you now see my value
I will stay

but if you want me
you must reach me.


Fortunately, angels know
how slow we humans grow
and so
they’ll wait patiently--
as long as we keep trying.

33 1/3 New Fables & Myth: ebook
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home