Thursday, February 24, 2022

The Real Reason I Visited the Great Pyramid

author's note:

Full disclosure:

My “trip” to Egypt was the Great Courses lecture series “History of Ancient Egypt” presented by Dr. Bob Brier.


THE REAL REASON I VISITED THE GREAT PYRAMID

In the photograph I’m smiling
under my big floppy hat

while that massive monolith
looms in the background.
Darkened by afternoon shadow
the tomb puts a capital "D" on Death.

But though
the silly tourist appears oblivious
in the photo
I now realize I did indeed feel
that indomitable weight
behind me--
beneath my travel tour giddiness
I secretly experienced
a mix of fear and wonder.
The response, automatic.

Yes, a wise design--
those ancient Egyptians
built the pyramids
not just for the egos of their pharaohs
but to remind all
of the ever-present mystery.

Now, millennia later
they ask me to deepen
to what I try to ignore
as I frolic about
in my floppy tourist hat.

you tube channel
myth steps blog
33 1/3 New Fables & Myths: ebook
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home