Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Stone Says



author's note:

A poem posted last year...and rewritten this year.

On rewrites, I usually end up cutting all my favorite lines.  So painful.


THE STONE SAYS

Maybe we don't need graves
but we still could use the stones

as a reminder
after our ashes
have been carried away
by the breeze.

Just a flat stone slab
planted in the grass
would be sufficient--

would say to the world:

like any solid stone, I've endured
many quakes, many storms

as well as
the relentless dripping
of cold ground seepage.

The stone would say:
I am a foundation

you can build on me--you will
even if you forget
I am here--

I’ll always be around.

Before, I was hidden
in that woman
in that man
in that child:

now, finally, in death
you can witness my truth--

feel the life of this stone...


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
MYTHSTEPS: the book

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home