Sunday, November 13, 2022

Forward Back

author’s note:

I often hear, “Follow your intuition!”

To that, I say, “Yes, but the benefits aren’t always so obvious.”


FORWARD BACK

One morning on
a two-lane highway
my car hit a patch of black ice
and suddenly went into a spin

and when the backend
had whipped to a stop
the front end faced the place
I’d just left.
Or perhaps I should say “fled”.
Or maybe the word is: “abandoned”.

But then
in that abrupt moment of stillness
I could no longer ignore
the silent voice.

When what my intuition says
goes against my wishes
I may allow my stubborn will
to steer the wheel

until I go into a spin--
and eventually I’ll go into a spin.

Then I’ll finally surrender
to the secret knowledge
of that silent voice.

Yet even as I obey
I’ll ask “why”--
why I must do what I must?
I’ll ask--though I know
I probably won’t
get a reply.

Years later
I continue to learn why
I needed to return
to the place I had abandoned.

Listening to Silence: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home