Sunday, November 20, 2022

The Undercurrent

author’s note:

"Going with the flow" sounds so easy.


THE UNDERCURRENT

When I finally stopped to listen
to what goes on down below the boards...

I began to detect
a powerful undercurrent
moving quietly
beneath my little boat.

Now, after years
of real-life experimentation
I feel I can state with confidence:

though I move the wheel
the current’s the one
actually steering this vessel.
I may plan, but that force decides--
it knows how my spirit needs to grow.
And in service to that purpose
it may take me
to the very places
I was warned not to go.

I was warned: avoid the rocks

I was warned: avoid the mud

I was warned: avoid the depths.

Those old instructions
still have a hold
so when I see where
the current's pulling me
I may start to flail and thrash

hoping to avoid the rapids
hoping to avoid the dead pool
hoping to avoid the deep channel.

Yet at the same time
I’ll fight to stop myself
from fighting the current

not just because I’ve learned
it's useless

and not just because I believe I need
the education that comes from
struggling with gnarly hardship.

No, I’ll confess
to an aim less noble than that:
I wish to realize my ego-dreams
of coolly staring into danger
with a glint in my eye that says
I will not fail this test.

Common Courage: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home