Thursday, May 13, 2021

Negotiating with the Weight

author's note:

In my experience, life is filled with paradoxical prescriptions.


NEGOTIATING WITH THE WEIGHT

Sometimes when I pause, I feel
what I’m usually able
to ignore:
the weight bearing down
on me--
on all of us
from what I can see.

Apparently
life wants to crack us open.

I can’t blame anyone
for trying to escape.
But I’ve learned
such attempts are futile.
So I negotiate with the weight
in this way:

Occasionally, I stop
and lay myself down--
I surrender myself--
for a brief while
and in response
the weight eases its pressure--
at least, for a brief while.

Another paradoxical prescription:
I work so hard to keep myself
fastened together
but
to keep myself together
I must open up
this rusty iron chest.
I must force myself to stop
if I want to keep moving.

Listening to Silence: poetry ebook
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home