Sunday, December 08, 2013

The Lift



author's note:

I realize this poem might seem to contradict the last poem posted...

However, I see both poems as valid expressions of our story: we want to break out, and at the same time, we struggle to keep from being broken.


THE LIFT

Sometimes when I witness
someone struggling to stand...

I reflect again on what every
human being is asked to carry--

so I stop and when I stop
I can feel that weight again
--the pressure--
I usually manage to ignore
when I'm rolling.

Some have written
that the weight
comes from knowing
of our death

but I say that what this life asks
creates such a pressure--
this life keeps asking me to crack:
open and open and open--

a request that feels like death--!--
the demand seems so unjust--!--

especially since I've fought so hard
to hold myself together--to buttress myself
against the forces of this world:

tried so hard to forget that damn weight--
afraid it'd crush me dead
if I stopped long enough to feel it...

and yet,
when I do I allow myself
to feel what I feel
I am not broken--as long as I don't argue
but instead, negotiate
the demands of that weight:

if I give in, just a little bit
I'll experience a shift...
then a slight lift--

when I feel so very weak
I always find a way to find my strength

because I want so badly to stand again--

I want to keep on rolling...


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious Transformation

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home