Sunday, November 10, 2013

Combusting the Bird Cage



author's note:

I believe birds have their own souls.  So they don't need ours.


COMBUSTING THE BIRD CAGE

Ancient wisefolk claimed
the souls of our departed ones
inhabit the bodies of birds

but must I wait until I die
for my spirit to fly--?--

after all, I've heard
of mortals able to endure
the overwhelming freedom
of our vast sky with its many mansions
--both light and dark

but though I urge my lark
to break those bars
I also cling with claws
to the security
of frustrating limitation.

Nonetheless, I remain
nervously hopeful
because I feel this fight
building a heat
that someday will surely
combust this bird cage:

a death that will not kill me--
a death that will set me free.


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
OPEN ALL NIGHT

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home