Monday, April 12, 2021

How to Sing in Public

author's note:

A pet peeve, but I not a petty peeve, I believe.


HOW TO SING IN PUBLIC

Another loud personality
proudly displays
her stitched wounds in public:
telling us how
life knocked her out

then gave her
many more blows before
she finally woke up

to begin the work of mending.

I truly admire such strength
but

while touting her own courage
the teller of that familiar tale
seems to ignore the bravery
of so many others.

If I’m ever asked publicly
about injuries from early days
I won’t shy away--
no, I’ll sing of my pain--
because someone
might hear her own hurt
in the sounds coming from my wounds.

Yes, I will sing
but not too loud, nor too long--
I don’t wish to diminish
your painful saga
by pretending that I’m
a stitched hero, sublime.

Dancing to Raven's Song: novel
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home