Monday, March 22, 2021

A Woman Wrapped in a Blanket Ponders a Paradox

author’s note:

Who is this woman?  Many of us, at least. I believe: most.  Including me.


A WOMAN WRAPPED IN A BLANKET PONDERS A PARADOX

As I sit, cozy on the sofa
I begin to ponder the paradox
of this knitted blanket--

I’m covered, but exposed:
these loops of yarn are wide enough
for a scorpion to pass through.
Yet I feel safe
under this scanty wrap:

I’ve found a way
to fool myself
but I think that’s okay--
because in the evenings
I need some relief

from a world outside
that constantly threatens me
with potential catastrophe.

The irony is:
I’ve gone through
most of my days unscathed--
so perhaps I’m also fooling myself
by being so afraid.

But I hear of so many tragedies--
sudden unforeseeable accidents

and even if I could persuade my head
not to waste so much energy in worry
I still couldn’t convince
the little mouse within
(I’ve tried, I’ve tried).

No, the mouse only responds
to the soft warm comfort
of this knitted blanket--

a fool’s peace, yes, but
when I’m thus enchanted
by the blanket
my attention shifts
and then I may begin
to worry about
the anxieties of others--
I wish the rest of the world
could feel this secure
at least once, each night.

I’d like to cover our planet
with a big knitted blanket.

What can I do in this world
what can I do
to knit at least a few
little patches?

My War for Peace: poetry ebook
Soultime: a novel
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home