Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Cold Wisdom of Winter

author's note:

A good poem to post, I think, as we approach the solstice.


THE COLD WISDOM OF WINTER

I miss winter--I miss
how the snow and ice
forced me to fight--
forced me to find
the fire in my heart.

I miss
the waves of drifts that made me lift
my boots high.  I miss
the sense of accomplishment I felt
when I braved the merciless night wind.

To help myself endure
I remembered spring--I remembered
the way our pliant soil opens under the plow
to show how rich brown it’s grown
during the dark days of winter.

In winter, I missed summer
but now
as sunlight softly paints
the green plants gold
I miss winter--

the cold wisdom of winter.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
what I learned while alone: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

A perfect poem for Spring! I found your blog via the poetry blog list and enjoyed reading some of your work.
Diane

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home