Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Cold Wisdom of Winter



author's note:

A good poem, I think, to welcome our Spring.


THE COLD WISDOM OF WINTER

I miss winter--
how breaking through the hard ice
strengthened the beat of my heart;
how braving the sharpening wind
gave me a sense of accomplishment.

How the waves of drifts made me lift
my feet high. How I kept myself warm
with the heat of desire.

To help myself fight through to Spring
I thought of the sunlight glowing soft
    on the top of every sprout--

I thought of how
the earth welcomes the plow,
of how the soil gladdens to open
to breathe again--
wishing to show how rich brown it has grown
during the dark days--
to reveal its goodness and its godness,
to give an intimation
of what lies deeper down.

But now, my memories have changed
as the season has changed...now--

I miss winter, the cold wisdom of winter.


© 2010, Michael R. Patton
shameless self-promotion

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Princess Haiku said...

A perfect poem for Spring! I found your blog via the poetry blog list and enjoyed reading some of your work.
Diane

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home