Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Soul of a Worm

THE SOUL OF A WORM

According to one theory
we all ascend to heaven after death

but soon feel overwhelmed
by the magnificence
and lose consciousness--
we fall asleep then fall
back down to Earth

to live yet another life
in search of heaven lost:

like worms we crawl
up the mountain of our lives--
pulled by a longing for the clouds

and as we climb, we grow
stronger ever stronger

until, after many lifetimes
we’ve built enough strength
to accept the magnificence
of that high spiritual power:

only then can we live
as permanent residents of heaven.

A good belief, I think--
just consider this benefit:

now, everywhere I look
I see fallen angels growing strong
in the climb called “human life”

and in so seeing, I feel blessed
to be here among you--
not just a worm among worms
but a soul among souls.

However, I wonder...
wouldn’t the pure bliss of heaven
eventually become monotonous?

With that in mind
let me suggest this addition to our theory:

once we’ve able to stay in heaven
we don’t stop--no
we merely take a breath, enjoy the view
then began to climb anew--
up another wild twisted path
up another mountain
this one even steeper than the last--
we aim for another heaven--
a heaven even higher--even more magnificent.

In this way
you and I ascend
to heaven after heaven--
no end to the heavens we can attain.

Perhaps some will still prefer
to imagine themselves at final rest
but speaking for myself
I would never want
this kaleidoscopic mountain scene to end--
painful though it is.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home