Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Lesson from a Dead Bird

author’s note:

As they say in the movies: “based on a true story”.


LESSON FROM A DEAD BIRD

Once as a boy…

while walking down a rural road
in morning sunlight
I spied a dead bird in the dirt--
its broken neck
curled back against one wing.

Then with the type of disrespect
common to children who feel powerless
I put my foot on its bloated chest.

And holy wow!--as I lifted my boot
that bird jumped up
and with a fury of fluttering
flew away.

An incredible resurrection--a story
I use, years later, to help myself cope.

The bird tells me:

when we’re dead asleep
often only a lightning bolt
from a shadow tyrant
can pump the air
back into our chest.

Many times, many times
I’ve stepped on myself
with my own shadow

but I’m still waking up.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
40 New Fables: ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home