Saturday, September 05, 2020

The Wise One

author’s note:

I’ve met more than one wise one in this life.

Sometimes for only a moment.  But a moment can be enough.


THE WISE ONE

When I saw how wise she was
I told her:
you’re at the very tip top
of the mountain top

but she replied:
we all possess a high spirit.

That’s hard for me to believe
I said,
when I see so much greed
and cruelty without remorse.

A cynical comment, perhaps
but I was hoping
she’d feel concerned and help me
see more than a few stars
in our darkness

but no--

the wise one spoke no more.

I cursed her silence then
but now, I think I see the purpose:
she knew, in time, I’d feel
overwhelmed
by all the brutality
I saw in our world.

Then, in desperation
I’d search for ways to hope

and when I couldn’t find
any better remedy
I’d finally decide to accept
her belief.

I’d accept:
we all hold a high spirit--
a spirit that impels us to climb--
that aims us toward the tip of the top.

Yes, some may seem quite low
but they’re headed in the same direction
as those who walk above the clouds.

And yes, I know, as a whole
we don’t appear to be
making much progress
but
you can only climb a mountain slowly.

As you can see, I’ve built on her idea--
her silence allowed me to develop
my own vision--
a perspective

which I use to lift my spirit
and decrease the drag on these feet
as I creep
toward the tip of the top.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home