Sunday, August 11, 2013

Your Spirit Speaks



author’s note:

I believe we all talk in our sleep.


YOUR SPIRIT SPEAKS

Your spirit speaks to me, sometimes

after I've lowered my night blind.

Your spirit told me
this secret:
how you are pulled
when necessary
by invisible strings--

your spirit told me: you don't know
but you've agreed to every pull--
even when the jerk
feels like a lightening bolt
you said "yes" to the plan
in advance.

But your spirit also told me
sometimes you realize
what must be done
and actually pull
the string yourself--
because you know
the bolt could burst you open.

Yet you never proclaim:
"I am courageous!"

Your spirit told me
that, with a little more perspective
I'd see your electrified flopping
as a dance:

an epic ballet portraying
our battle to answer life's shocking demands--

the erratic fluttering of your arms and hands
in truth, a modern reenactment
of the heroine's triumphant emergence--

doesn’t the butterfly struggle
with its crimped wings, in just the same way
after bursting from the cocoon--?--

your spirit told me
your stumbling footsteps
are part of a balancing act
performed by a puppet clown
navigating its way up and down
the bars of a symphony score:

the bars not a prison--merely restraint:
the restraint of a physical body
moving through time and space:

the restraint of our learning.

Your spirit told me:
how in you, I can see
my own dance class.

Now finally, this morning
I told myself I must tell you
everything I've been told
in hopes you might come to appreciate
your personal style of elegance.

Don't doubt me--I bear witness:
your night messages have indeed given me
a different perspective
on your tremulous pirouettes

and a different view of this mountain too--

though I’m still intimidated
by its dragon grandeur--

though I still tremble, stumble, flutter
with every single step

now I know
my heart would never desire
something softer

not for my sake
nor for yours.

© 2013, Michael R. Patton
new steps

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I love the "Ballet Parking" drawing!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I posted that cartoon hoping that someone might actually institute this idea. To take the ballet and park with it, so to speak.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

Oh, Michael! Too funny!! However, it appears as tho the man in question already has a lady companion. He looks aghast, and she looks none too happy. Also, it seems like the tutu might not fit into that little car! :)

9:59 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

No problem--just remove the front seat and put in a little stool for the driver.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

Stop already with the comments, Michael! If both of us had been outside at the time I read your response, you might even have been able to hear my very loud guffaws!!

(I assume you meant by 'removing the front seat' that it was a bucket seat? Elst would his lady friend then have had to sit on the floor?)

Oh, Michael, thank you thank you thank you for that huMONgous laugh!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home