Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Your Spirit Spoke

Dance dance dance dance dance dance yeah!
                   -- The Beach Boys


YOUR SPIRIT SPOKE

Your spirit spoke to me last night
after I closed my eyes
and opened my mind--
your spirit told me

about your secret strings--
invisible wires that pull you
up and down and around--
this way and that--
according to plan.

Your spirit told me:
you don’t remember, but
you agreed to this plan in advance--
even those pulls that place you
in the path of a lightening bolt
are part of the agreement.

Yes--
your flipping and flapping and flopping
have all been choreographed

for a modern dance
expressing a courageous struggle
to answer life's shocking demands

performed to a music
that may sound jazzy
but the truth is
those notes are set on the bars of a score:

the bars not a prison--merely restraint:
the restraint experienced by all spirits
moving through time and space--

the restraint of human learning.

Yes, that’s what your spirit said
to me last night
as we watched you move
from a corner in your sunlit room

and when I awoke
in a light that reminded me of your sun
I decided to share the dream
because your spirit also said
you’ve refused to hear
its positive message--

that is:
how you work so hard to build strength
following a design quite brilliant--

no, you don’t see the beauty
of your fierce dance

as I do now
after listening to your spirit.

But despite its wisdom
I still can’t quite accept
what your spirit said
about my stumbles and slips--
your spirit claims
I can find the shine of my own elegance
in the luminous mirror of your dance steps.

© 2020, Michael R. Patton
the truth of the dream: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Goldenrod said...

I love the "Ballet Parking" drawing!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Michael R. Patton said...

I posted that cartoon hoping that someone might actually institute this idea. To take the ballet and park with it, so to speak.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

Oh, Michael! Too funny!! However, it appears as tho the man in question already has a lady companion. He looks aghast, and she looks none too happy. Also, it seems like the tutu might not fit into that little car! :)

9:59 PM  
Blogger Michael R. Patton said...

No problem--just remove the front seat and put in a little stool for the driver.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Goldenrod said...

Stop already with the comments, Michael! If both of us had been outside at the time I read your response, you might even have been able to hear my very loud guffaws!!

(I assume you meant by 'removing the front seat' that it was a bucket seat? Elst would his lady friend then have had to sit on the floor?)

Oh, Michael, thank you thank you thank you for that huMONgous laugh!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home