Sunday, February 21, 2021

A Big Step

author’s note:

Yes, "tripping" has a double meaning in this poem.


A BIG STEP

Yes, we’re tripping
but I believe that’s because
we are taking a big step up.

I know I’ve tripped--tripped
every time I’ve taken
a big step.

We all step our own way.
We all step together as one.

The fear I now hear from us
as we struggle to step up
echoes my own childish moan
as I struggle alone
to climb yet another step
on my stairway.

From experience, I know
after I’ve pulled myself up
I’ll fear the next step
just as much as I did this one.

Nonetheless
I will take that risk
(eventually)
rather than risk losing
the life I might find higher up.

I believe
we not only fear being more
we also fear being less--

I believe
when our higher instinct
finally triumphs
over our lower
we’ll stop tripping
on this step.

© 2021, Michael R. Patton
Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook
Myth Steps blog

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home