Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Saw You at the Waterfall



author’s note:

What I remember from biology class...

...was how fragile the human body seemed to me.  If the body is so fragile, we must be quite strong.
 

I SAW YOU AT THE WATERFALL

Those small trees clinging
to the edge
of the waterfall cliff...

remind me of so many strangers
glimpsed on the rain-wet street--

see how the crowns of the trees have bowed

while their roots strain
to hold to brittle rock of little soil
and their limbs tremble
from the roar of water crashing below
--a subway roar.

Like those many people
the trees seem so distant--
covered as they are
in thick mist.

Like those many people
the fragile trees dare me
to be as strong as they are--
to flourish while enduring a life
so constantly precarious...

The trees, the people:
plain in appearance
but beautiful in aspect.


© 2014, Michael R. Patton
searching for the new mythology

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home