Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Climbing, Upside-Down


author's note:

A few years ago, I had a dream of an upside-down American flag.

So I'm guessing I'm not alone in this act.


CLIMBING, UPSIDE-DOWN

I'm guessing most of you
have felt the feeling
of dangling, suspended

so maybe you can understand
why I was afraid to look down

while at the same time
I desperately wished
to get some sense
of where I was.

Of course,
curiosity eventually won

and I looked

down and down and so far down

and saw I was performing a feat beyond my belief.

But only a wise man
can tolerate the sight of something contrary
to what we conceive this life to be
and my small heart was not yet ready
to be that strong.

So, I closed my eyes again.

With eyes shut
I can ignore what I know
and so, continue...

still, from time to time
I take some satisfaction
in realizing I can open
if I really want

and I will open...I will--

not just so I can make
better safer progress
by seeing what I'm doing

but because such open courage
would heighten this death-defying act
into an action even grander--

so I will open...I will

when my fearful heart
finally surrenders and accepts
what my large wise heart
assures me to be true:

sometimes what seems to be
a highly unreasonable act
can become quite reasonable
when we consider the gains made
through its crazy incredible difficulty...


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
dreaming steps

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home