Friday, October 12, 2018

Another Battle Won



author's note:

"We have met the enemy and he is us."
       -- Walt Kelly, Pogo


ANOTHER BATTLE WON

Yesterday, as I skipped
down the sidewalk
I thought I glimpsed
a vulture circling!

and like a fool, I ran
ran again
without thinking

and as fools often do
I tripped--
tripped again
and hit

the hard ground hard

then found only empty sky above.

I tried to laugh
but as I lay on my back
I began to feel
my real adversary again--
the parasite of needless fear:

its chattering teeth
trying to devour
the will of my better desire--

I wanted to jump up and run!

But as I fought to find
the strength to stand
I woke again
to that other feeling--
a feeling buried deep:

so subtle, so quiet, yet so solid--

a knowingness that says: all is well
(despite what you think)

a knowingness beyond reason.

The parasite then lost its teeth
(for the moment at least)
and I stood up
and walked on...

another battle won.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
my war for peace: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home