Thursday, November 29, 2018

Angels in Wartime



author's note:

Those better angels of our nature can be so irritating.


ANGELS IN WARTIME

As I sat overhead on a branch
and watched the enemy creep
through the woods in search of me
I noticed

a certain dread in his step

and by feeling his feeling, again felt
that horrified angel
I try so hard to ignore--

bruised but strong
within my thin armor.

Once again
I tried to stifle its tears

and once again grew frustrated
at a tenderness so stubborn

and so, once again
redirected this conflict
by pointing my anger at the enemy below--
I raised my bow...I aimed my arrow

but when I again saw the dread
in that man's step
I again felt my angel
and realized
though I've killed many
that which I wish to destroy still lives

and will continue to weep
until I stop this dreadful killing.

But how can I stop
when my opponent won't?
How can I change him?--I can't!

Unable to answer my dilemma
I then began to climb--
hoping a greater height
would lead to greater insight.

But so far, I only know
what I've seen before:

the dread in the step
of so many men

which tells me:
they feel as I feel
they really don't want to kill--
they too have an angel.

Maybe some who fight don't
but I've seen enough dread
for me to have hope.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
My War for Peace: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home