Sunday, November 11, 2018

Empathy for Three


author's note:

Today, in the U.S., we honor our military veterans.

I say: we're all veterans, of one type or another.


EMPATHY FOR THREE

One night while standing in line
I heard a man behind me say
with a sneer:

he's fallen again

and felt a surge of empathy
for someone I did not know

but I knew his pain--
you see, I've fallen too

a few times
or maybe more
than a few

and like that guy
been criticized
while still down

if not by someone else
then by myself--
yeah, I can be quite critical of me.

So I think I know something
about that critical man in line--
I believe his sneer belies
anger at some part of himself
he deems weak.

The pain behind his anger
is pain I know, so now
I also feel empathy for him.

Maybe my empathy
is merely self-pity
projected outwards.

But if so, that's okay
because

when I see myself
in those two mirrors
I want to help them both

and when I want to help them both
I want to help all three of us

and when I want help the three of us
I want to help the whole damn world.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
40 New Fables: ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home