Thursday, January 03, 2019

Why Should I?



author's note:

Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It’s not.
        -- Dr. Seuss


WHY SHOULD I?

Why should I act?

Why should I stand?

I can't stop cyclopes
from crushing priceless jewels into dust

which sirens then sell--
denying the high interest rate.

Why speak up?--

if heard, I'll be skunked
by celebrated psychopaths using ill-logic

and many reasonable people
who seem quite congenial
will hang their shadows on me
for no true reason.

I can avoid so much pain
if I brake before I begin

yes but no--
by now, I know:

the frustration
of rising and losing
will feel better than
the malaise of sitting and sinking

after all...

if I stand, I can dance--dance
even as I weep

along with many other dancers

and as we share our tears
we will open
to the comforting soul.

© 2018, Michael R. Patton
Survival: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home