Thursday, February 21, 2019

Joining the Chorus



author's note:

“Truth!  Stark naked truth...”
         -- John Cleland


JOINING THE CHORUS

Why should I be embarrassed
by this scar on my chin?--

after all
I have worked hard to heal
and I think I've stitched well.

Yet I feel still ashamed--
angry at how I allowed
myself to be wounded--
angry at my weakness.

Perhaps I can finally lift myself
above that injurious belief
by joining the chorus of those who sing:
these scars show our strength!

But to truly refresh us
confession must be honest
so I'll add to my song:
I haven't healed completely--
otherwise, you wouldn't see a scar.


Such relief as I raise my voice--
I'm so tired of trying to hide
the mark that defies the mask:

last night in a dream
a woman felt embarrassed
so I turned off the light

but I could still see her scars--
each one shone in the dark.

© 2019, Michael R. Patton
what I learned while alone: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home