Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Celebrating My Slow Progress

author's note:

A big welcome to the periodical cicadas!


CELEBRATING MY SLOW PROGRESS

Often I feel frustrated--
change can only happen slowly.
But I keep myself motivated
by celebrating victory regularly:

I celebrate
like the glacier that knows
one inch more
is one inch closer to home.

I celebrate
like that little wispy cloud
that gives of itself
though it can only create
a few scant showers today.

I celebrate
like the cicada
who fights impatience
by deeply appreciating
each rich moment
of its life underground.

I now realize
no matter how high we go
our stepping never ends.
So I shouldn’t wait until I reach
some lofty pinnacle, no--
I should celebrate
every step of the way.

© 2021, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious Transformation: poetry ebook

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home